In the previous post I explored with you a Hatfield Road bungalow for which a planning application had recently been submitted for redevelopment as flats. The land on the south side of Hatfield Road had been released from agricultural use on part of Hill End Farm in 1920, and there was little delay before new houses lined the full distance from near Ashley Road, beyond Colney Heath Lane as far as the boundary of former Butterwick Farm where today's industrial landscape begins.
A reader recently identified a particular house near Colney Heath Lane he had been familiar with and therefore this corner will be the focus today. Until the 1920s the nearest buildings were Oaklands Mansion and Winches farmhouse on the north side of Hatfield Road, the station building at the railway (shown at the foot of the map) and a small thatched building, called the Hut, just a short distance into Colney Heath Lane. This building housed the toll keeper collecting payments from road users travelling along the lane towards the turnpike road, now Hatfield Road. Otherwise, as the first map below shows a majority of this land was wooded.
The map which illustrates the plot lengths as they were in 1939 reveals an untidy arrangement with the occasional end wrapping around its neighbour, and a couple of landlocked plots with no apparent road access. The first map to show completed houses on the approach towards Colney Heath Lane (the 1939 map) also shows one house, numbered 456, which does not line the road at all, but is set behind two pairs of semi-detached homes with much shorter rear gardens. Number 456 therefore makes use of a particularly wide plot, but in order to give access to Hatfield Road a path was laid between the front houses. It is possible that one purchaser acquired and built all four front houses and the larger house set back (possibly for himself). He may also have purchased rectangular plots with access to Colney Heath Lane for his later vehicular drive, but was unable to complete this project while one householder, of 470, refused to sell the bottom part of his garden.
As we notice, the homes which were constructed at the same time round the corner in Colney Heath Lane also had rear gardens of various lengths, taking them as far as the brickworks site. Both the Ashley Road and Hill End Brickworks had closed by 1939 since it was anticipated there would be little demand for the product during war time. However, the irregularly shaped Hill End brickworks site was quickly identified for possible use by the fledgling Marconi Instruments Ltd, a spin-off company of Chelmsford's Marconi Wireless. Thus the brickworks/Marconi site was preserved until the latter's closure by 1980, after which it was redeveloped as the Marconi estate within the same curtilage.In the 1970s and 80s developers were earnestly searching for any small or medium sized blocks of potential building land, often using left-over corners from previous developments, lengths of housing with extended rear gardens (which enabled the houses in Pinewood Close) or where irregular boundaries had left pockets. Existing individual houses were occasionally demolished where there was the opportunity to redevelop more densely – a process which continues to this day.
Gresford Close results from one of those opportunities in the 1970s, and it connects to the road network just where the owner of number 456 Hatfield Road had previously acquired his private driveway onto Colney Heath Lane (which had also been reserved for a future number 8). The name Gresford is derived from E Michael Gresford Jones, Bishop of St Albans between 1950 and 1970.
The space left for a number 8 Colney Heath Lane is now the access road for Gresford Close. COURTESY GOOGLE STREETVIEW. |
By shortening existing gardens and utilising corners it was possible to accommodate around 28 new homes as well as the access route and garage accommodation. Of course, gardens are these days minuscule compared with those in pre-war dwellings.
A similar approach to increasing the housing stock was adopted at Cedarwood Court and Pinewood Close; and together with the Marconi estates and infill space between Colney Heath Lane and the Butterwick industry a considerable amount of extra housing has been brought to the south side of Hatfield Road.
No comments:
Post a Comment